Monday, January 9, 2012

A new adventure!


Two more days and a new adventure begins for our family! HOME SCHOOL! Out of necessity and for many reasons we have prayerfully and thoughtfully made the decision to homeschool Christopher for the rest of 2nd grade. I'm not sure who is more excited... Christopher or myself? It's a step we almost took after Kindergarten, but then he had such a great teacher in first grade, we were glad we waited. Then came 2nd grade. Shew, I was determined to make the best of a bad situation, but my sweet natured, independent, self-confident child was somehow changing and I did not like the changes. I wanted him back! Meeting after meeting with his teacher and other school officials brought no change. He was sliding further and further behind, but not enough for them to reach out and help him. (don't get me wrong, there are some great educators at his old school and I love them). We were at a crossroads. I prayed all night and day one complete day and the only thing that came to me was HOME SCHOOL! I finally went to Fred and said "I think I am going to home school Christopher". I did all the research and found out which program I wanted to use. Fred listened and said "let's pray about it". We did and agreed, this was our best choice. Then we worried how our little social Dragonfly would take it! He was thrilled. His last day at his public "brick and mortar" school, he literally heaved a sigh of relief and smiled when we left. I didn't realize how much my son was holding in. Over Christmas break, he told me more and more that made me realize what a good decision I had made. One night, on a quiet ride home, it was just he and I in the car. Christopher looked at me, he said "mom, you are my best friend". I said "Why is that Christopher". His response brought tears to my eyes. "Because you always believed in me and never gave up on me, I love you mom!". What a validation to my decision! One thing I know for sure.... We will have challenges, there will be days when I wonder, "Why did I think I could do this" and then there will be days when he just "gets it" and I get to be the one to see it "click". That will make it all worth it! I am so ready for this adventure!!!!!!!! We got this Christopher... I love you!

1 comment:

Tina Fussell said...

Hugs and prayers!! Trust me when I tell you that you will find lots of opportunity for your social butterfly to be social, but under your watchful eyes. For us, that was a big thing. Not because I had concerns about my own kids necessarily, but you never know about that child sitting next to them in class.

*Walk with your eyes open, live a life examined; abide in Christ so that you can see with the eyes of Christ all the chances you have to change the world one obedient opportunity at a time.

Our Family

Our Family
We are so blessed!

Visitors